Using Particl with Ledger hardware wallets (Nano S/X)
Ledger Nano (S/X) is a hardware wallet which stores user’s private keys in a secure hardware device.
Hardware wallets have major advantages over standard software wallets: private keys are stored in a secure chip, and cannot be transferred out of the device. That means your funds are safe even when connected to an infected or malicious computer or a phishing/scam web page.
For these reasons, we highly recommend users to protect their funds by setting up a Ledger or other compatible hardware wallet.
Before starting the setup process, make sure you have:
- Ledger Nano S/X hardware wallet – initialized and updated to latest firmware
- Ledger Live app ready to use
- Particl Core wallet installed and fully synced to the Particl network
Linux users: Make sure you have added the
udevrules to allow device access – see Fix connection issues (under Linux tab) for more info. If you already have a working Ledger wallet, you can skip this.
First, we need to install Particl on your Ledger device (feel free to follow official Ledger’s guide though it’s the same):
- open the Manager in Ledger Live
- connect and unlock your Ledger Nano S
- if asked, allow the manager on your device by pressing the right button
- find Particl app in the catalog
- click the Install button of the app
Note that if you’re forced to uninstall Particl app from your Ledger (due to lack of space), you’ll have to repeat these steps to access your funds. Don’t worry, your coins will stay safe even if the app isn’t installed in the meantime.
If you already have a Particl wallet on this computer,
make sure to back up the wallet.dat file by renaming or moving it elsewhere!
- launch Particl Core on your computer
- go to Window → HD Wallet (if it’s the first time you’re setting up a wallet on this computer or if you don’t have any
wallet.datfile in your Particl config folder, then Particl Core will automatically bring you to this dialog)
- click on the Hardware Device tab
- connect your Ledger Nano S to your computer via USB
- make sure the device is properly unlocked (and already initialized via Ledger Live)
- click on Import
- when your Particl Core wallet says Waiting for device, follow the instructions displayed on your Ledger hardware wallet screen
Your Particl Core client is now ready to be used in conjunction with your Ledger hardware wallet!
- open your Particl Core client containing your Ledger hardware wallet (as set up in the steps above)
- connect your Ledger hardware wallet to your computer and unlock it using your PIN code
- select and start the Particl application on your Ledger hardware wallet
- click on Particl Core’s Send tab
- enter your transaction details (PART amount and destination address)
- click Send → Yes
- Particl Core will prompt you to follow the steps displayed on your Ledger hardware wallet’s screen – confirm the transaction on your device if the transaction details are correct
Refer to dedicated how to cold stake on Ledger guide for information about securely cold staking on Ledger wallet.